Thursday 31 January 2008

Channel Branding Research

As additional background research I have decided to look at different channel brands that in one way or another use a character to brand themselves. The main three I am looking at are BBC 2's robotic 2, Sci Fi's Geekboy and BBC Three's Animated Blobs.

I like the subtlety on these idents. The robotic characters does comical things which sometimes you dont really expect and the shock of the humour is a good feature for the idents which dont last very long. It entertains the audience for that short period of time effectively.










The BBC 3 Blobs I think are a better identity than the BBC 2 robot. I generally think this is all people think of when they associate BBC 3. The brand of the blobs is well known and again the quirky animations work well for the short timespan of the idents. I also like the more relaxed and cartoony feel to these.



The Geekboy idea is probably the most suited to the theme of my brand and I like the way this is done. The styling is not quite what I would go for as I think its a bit wild. I prefer the subtleness of the BBC animations but these are quirky in another form. The animations are very imaginative and extremely cartoony but I think the BBC ones show more character. Definitely this theme is a good starting point for my brand idea but the way in which it is portrayed would not suit me or my audience as I feel it is too 'Trekkie Geek' rather than 'Chic Geek'

All the brands have their strong points and weak points. But the main thing is their strong consistency and brand values that relate to their target audience. I need this kind of strong link to make my brand work for the people seeing the work.

No comments: